Saturday 13 October 2012

Manual rack.

The power steering system in the 944 is said to be plagued with leaks. I replaced all return lines with new fuel hose, and resealed the pump. Unfortunately the pump still leaks. The housing might be warped, since I am sure the o-ring is not pinched. I will have to remove it, and do some further investigation.

1983 944 models came with a manual steering set up. I find this to be an attractive option due to the reduced engine bay clutter, maintenance, weight, and fluid leaks. Increased road feel, and driving feedback will also be nice gains.

Good thing I found one.
Disassemble, a good clean, and some media blasting, make it look factory fresh.
As always some primer, and black engine enamel were administered.

The inner tie rods are very expensive, and hard to find. I found some similar VW ones at a fifth of the price. A vital, and often ignored stop ring, will not fit the VW tie rods. Some machining will solve that problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment