Tuesday 23 April 2013

Fuel quantity indication

Drained the fuel tank, since I had some 2 year old fuel in there.
Cleaned up the pre-pump fuel stariner....
.....and installed it with a new seal.

My fuel quantity has read very low. I assumed the sending unit was at fault, so I removed it for troubleshooting.
All the contacts were clean, and free of varnish. The resistance check showed normal operation.

The gauge in the cockpit has become suspect.
Upon removal and disassembly of the instrument cluster, the contacts showed a bit of corrosion.


Fine crocus cloth, scotch brite, alcohol, and a dielectric sealant/grease are the tools for the job. The Grote Ultra Seal compound is made in Canada.

The pinned "football" connector is held in place by a nut and washer. The washers cracked, so I replaced it with a lockwasher.
I jumped a few connections to go some testing, and the gauges seem to be working much better, but I will know for sure when I fill up.


No comments:

Post a Comment