Wednesday 18 July 2012

Cluster Brightening

The gauges on the 944 are illuminated by 3 plastic (prism like) reflectors. The mirrored surface as deteriorated with age. it flaked and faded, causing the cluster to be poorly lit at night. The first step was to completely clean the reflector of old traces of mirror. Nail polish remover Worked quite well. I did not want to use anything stronger, since I am unsure of how it will react with plastic. (MEK might chew right through it) My inspection mirror from work had to be sacrificed. It's plastic, so if I drop it say... off the wing 15 feet on the hard cement, it will not shatter to bits. Its life started out as a B737 bathroom mirror.


I used aluminum take to hold them in place on the cluster. The tape was also used to cover the sides of the reflectors. I hope it works. It can't be any worse than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment